MOMA Wales

I've enjoyed a little break by the sea this week and while in the area, there's always time to detour to MOMA Wales in Machynlleth. In the first room were some rather lovely still life paintings by Margaret Foreman. It was fascinating to see her highly detailed and intricately worked painting style, especially after I've recently been looking at work that's been much more impressionistic.


I did a search and found she has a website with many more works illustrated including her portraits which are what she is best known for. You can find her site here if you are interested to see more.


Upstairs was the Open Tabernacle Art Competition which this year is themed 'Legend'. There was a great selection of work on display. Please excuse my photos, as you can see, the works were hung academy style and so some were rather high up.


A few of the ones which caught my eye...


Above: Pete Monaghan, Butter Blue Barns, mixed media.


Above and detail below: Jane Butterworth, St Non, mixed media



Above and detail below: Sarah Spencer, Odin's Spy, lithograph



Above: Kate Milsom, Jean Bare 1740-1803, mixed media and oil on gesso board.


Above: Ruth Koffer, Avalokitesvara's Tears, collage.

Then back downstairs was an exhibition of selected works from the Tabernacle Collection. Here's a taster...


Above: Peter Douglas Edwards, Portrait of Wendy Cope, oil on canvas.


Above and detail below: Fiona Morley, Untitled, steel bar, jewellery binding wire.


And below, the lovely gallery space.

I think, most if not all of these exhibitions run until the end go August so if you're in the area do take a look. The info is all on the MOMA website.

Thanks for visiting today, back soon.
Love Laura
x

Comments

  1. Thanks for giving this to use. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these beautiful exhibits. Wow, what variety. I was showing your photos to my partner and he observed that maybe the reason I have such a hard time spelling is because of my Welsh genes. Have an extra "y" or "l"? I told him it makes us unique. :) Have a wonderful, and hopefully relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you for this post. I've never visited this gallery and won't get there this year either, the way things are going. Some of those images are Very arresting. Powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment